A lock. A light. A secure shelter. All three can prevent violence against girls and women in emergencies, and provide a sense of security in a time of increased vulnerability and stress.
Violence against women and girls does not discriminate by race, religion, culture, class or country. Worldwide, one in three women have experienced either physical and/or sexual violence, and more than 15 million girls aged 15-19 years have experienced rape. (UNICEF ) 2018
There is a growing trend of insecurity all over, but the most worrisome is the situation of the girl child. This is because the girl child is the most vulnerable of the human species. It is therefore very important that we do all we can, to protect her.
What is safety: the condition or feeling of being safe ;security ;certainly.
Women/girls safety involves strategies, practices and policies which aim to reduce gender-based violence (or violence against women), including Women/girls fear of crime. Women/girls safety involves safe spaces. Women’s safety involves financial security and autonomy.
When you look at a little girl, what you see is the purity and beauty of innocence, but criminals see SEX APPEAL. That is very strange, but that is why they are criminals.
Let’s take note of the following safety precautions for the girl, against sexual abuse, the most worrisome aspect of the insecurity.
1. Do not let your girl child get too familiar with male neighbours.
2. Discourage her visit to male apartments alone. This includes running errands that entail entering their room.
Also, be careful how you release your girl to go and visit her ‘friends’ and ‘classmates’.
Criminals know how to set traps.
3. Let her not be fond of receiving, or requesting for gifts from people especially males. It is by this that a trap is arranged.
4. As much as possible, avoid leaving your girl child alone at home.
5. Regularly chat with your girl child. This is when you ask her of any touching of her private part by any male.
5. Notice the change of mood of your girl, or the way she walks. Has she been withdrawing? Is she afraid?
Rapists threaten children, should they tell anybody what happened to them.
6.Once in a while check her pant to see any blood stains and other signs.
7. In place of pants, a pair of shorts is safer for her.
8. In the midst of male relatives, especially half brothers, let her always go to bed in shorts as part her night dress. Is it not strange that some rapists are blood relatives?
9. Try and change your style of purchases. Why will you send your little girl out of the house late in the evening in search of an item, all alone?
10. When you hear an unusual cry or shout of a girl, please be alerted and make efforts to see what the matter is. You could be a girl’s last hope for rescue.
11. Every girl raped could be a reduced chances of her reproduction; and that is a generation closed down.
12. Please, properly examine that house girl you want to hire, to ensure she is really a girl. Some males who resemble females take advantage of that, disguise as girls and get hired as house helps.
The safety of your daughters in the hand of this ‘girl’ is left to your imagination.
13. Very importantly, parents should desist from introducing the girl child to wild, provocative dressing. Mothers are fond of dressing up their little girls in skimpy, scanty attire: shorts, hot pants, show back, see-through, mini, etc.
The usually justification is “but they are little children”.
We forget that childhood is the time to lay the foundation of whatever a child will be, at adulthood.
Yes, we may love these little angels looking cuddly in such outfits, but the danger is that they are being watched by criminals whose sexual attraction is towards little children;
Besides, they are being predisposed for eyebrow-raising dressing, because they will grow with it.
READ: FAMILY CHILD TRAINING
Whatever will be your child’s dress code when she grows up, you’re laying the foundation right now.
Please lay the foundation of a decent, responsible dressing.
FOR OLDER GIRLS
1. Avoid being alone in lonely place.
2. Avoiding visiting males alone.
3. Do not take a drink that is opened and served in your absence.
A drug can be dropped into your drink.
4. Do not accept an invitation to a strange place; a trap could be waiting for you.
5. If a friend calls to invite you to any place which two of you did not discuss, politely decline. Many girls have been invited to places even by ‘friends’ where they were raped, and even murdered. Be wise.
6. Let shorts be part of your dressing. Preferably jeans.
Trousers are no more for fashion alone; they’re now security outfits.
7. He pretends to love you. Then promises to marry you; and immediately you pack into his house. Is that not a suicide? You simply give yourself away to evil.
8. Pick some lessons in self Defence . When it matters most, your shout for help may not do much; but you can ward off attackers, physically.
9. Avoid drawing attention unnecessarily; and flamboyant dressing does that for you.
10. Before you board a cab, observe the occupants. If they’re all males, gently decline.
Above all, safety belongs to God.
Take time to be praying specially for our children, for divine security.
Young lady, your divine security begins with a personal relationship with Christ.
May the Lord protect us from evil men and their traps.
Compiled by Egbe Buduzhi